March 12, 2014

It's A Good Day in the Library!

The other thing that I enjoy most while studying and living here in Melbourne is their cozy libraries. Yes! Library! If you are a Jakartan, then you may understand how difficult for us to find a good cozy library as a place to hang out, or just to enjoy your reading time. I understand that there are some new public libraries in Jakarta, such as the one manages by the Freedom Institute. Unfortunately, despite they do have good collections of books and beautiful green outdoor landscape, still they have limited reading space: comfy chairs with good light. Two most important things for book's lover! Also no access to the journal articles! Another important facility for students or researchers!

As a student at the University of Melbourne, we are lucky to have so many cozy libraries available and located in many different faculties within our uni complex. Some of them are even open until midnight! Not only they have thousands of books (some are even rare and old books!), but also free access to the journal database. Also, as a student, you can borrow up to hundreds books! Not to mention, you can find very comfy chairs and decors, pampering your eyes while having your reading time in there! My favorite libraries, where I used to spend my time are at the Eastern Resources Centre (ERC) Library. This one is located only about five minutes walking from my apartment! Just in front of my building! I also frequently visit the Baillieu Library at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and the Giblin Eunson at the Faculty of Business and Economics, this one is the newest and coziest library at Uni, I believe! Other than those libraries at the Uni, in almost suburb areas specially in Victoria, you can easily find public library. The one nearby my place is the famous the State Library and the City Library. Both are so spacious, cozy places, lots of comfy chairs and beanbag chairs, and working tables with lots of desk computers. All are free, including the internet, serve with good lights, clean toilet, and free tap water available! 

Here are some photos I took viewing those cozy libraries in my uni. Sometimes I feel sad when I have to leave my chair and th cozy room. How precious moment I had in there. Sometimes I wish that I could also find this kind of public facility when I return to my hometown back in Indonesia. I wish that more of my friends and Indonesian could spend their time in good and cozy library like in here, and less spend their time at shopping malls, like most of Jakarta used to hang out nowadays!


(the Giblin Eunson Library at the Faculty of Business & Economics) 

(my favorite reading spot during Saturday morning at the ERC Library)

(another favorite reading spot of mine at the Reading Room, Faculty of Law)

No comments: