March 3, 2015

Random Act of Kindness



Yesterday morning when I was walking toward the Little Collins Street, I saw a man came from the opposite direction of me. Looking to his "empty" and "blank" face, for no reason I just automatically gave him a smile. He stopped, looking directly into my eyes, and softly but genuinely thanking me. "It means a lot", says him. Then he walked away again. I was surprised.  

I don't know what that man struggles in life, but I then realised even just giving a small sounds silly thing, like a smile to a stranger, it might be the only sunshine he sees all day. What happened yesterday morning reminds me again to what I experienced few months back when I was working as a waitress at one most busiest restaurant at the Swanson Street. (Yes, I too worked as waitress!). I've had worked for a long four hour without have a chance to sit and resting even for a while, continuously standing and doing waitressing stuff as the restaurant was super hectic that day. I came to a table to pick up empty and used plates where an older woman sitting. I was so tired and like a robot, I just pick those used plates, bowl, and glass, and cleaned up the table. Just before I left the table, she held my hand, saying "thank you, dear. God bless you". I was stunned and touched. Just a simple short words. It cheers my day. It melted my heart. It makes me feel stronger again. 

When we do and practice just a random act of kindness, to people we love and knows like a surprise call to a long lost friend or family leave far away, just to ask how are they, paying a cup of coffee for someone next behind you when you are about buying your coffee at the cafe, offer your seat while you are on public transport, or just a simple smile to a stranger. We never know it works! Never underestimate those things you do. It could changed someone's life and spirit. In my case, it equally makes me feel good inside. As well as it might changed the recipient, it may also changed us and the way we see life. So let us continue to learn and practice random act of kindness. At least, a small contribution we can made for this world. Why not? 

Autumn, March 3rd, 2015. 

No comments: