October 27, 2010

Mother


"Every time I see a mother with an infant, I know I am seeing a woman at work. I know that work is not leisure and it is not sleep, and it may well be enjoyable. I know that money payment is not necessary for work to be done. But again, I seem to be at odds with economics as a discipline, because when work becomes a concept in institutionalized economics, payment enters the pictures. So my grandmother did not work, and those mothers I see with their infants are not working. No housewives, according to this definition, are workers".

[Quotes by Marilyn Waring]

3 comments:

Boodeznee said...

I never see it as an occupation, Lia. It's more of life commitment. 24/7, non-resignable.

Lia Marpaung said...

it's true, a life commitment ! that's why I decided not to sign a contract for this hehehe

Des, so this is your new home ? What happen with the previous one ?

Boodeznee said...

Hehehe..... SSA would not be the right type of contract for this ya.

I've moved to a new home. The old one is not active anymore.