April 18, 2008

Friends Everywhere...

Today is my 3rd day here in Makassar. I finally gave up to find a local dive operator that can bring me to browse the underwater world here. I was surprised that even though Makassar is surrounded by the ocean, but there is still none of official dive operator. They only have the "POSSI" group and the navy. I tried to meet some of them, but unfortunately some of the dive master recommended by my friend are not available this time. I feel bit disappointed with this, but then my hubby promised me that he will bring me for a dive in Bunaken, North Sulawesi, hopefully by the end of May ! Yessss..... !!! 

Gloomy is just not my middle name ! Hehehe....to what a surprise, my very best friends from Biak whom are like my own brother and sister and their family, are here in Makassar too. And also my previous colleagues when I was working in Papua. So we all met this afternoon, and have a great time and a long chit-chat till this midnight ! So thanks alot for cheering me up again to Gerald & Lisa, Om Longa, Om William, pak John Tupamahu, Sandy, and dr. Willy Kumurur !

Every gathering with friends are also an opportunity to learn more about many thing. Today together with Sandy, dr. Willy and my hubby, we discussed about social issues that touched on people's everyday life. I personally have an interest to learn more about health intervention program on women and young girls. Also to the innovative program such as a partnership between midwives and TBAs [Traditional Birth Attendance or what we called "dukun beranak"]. I have involved on these program when I was working on mother and child health program in Papua. But has been away from this issue for these last few month, and now look forward to learn more on the update again. This week-end we will visiting a local health center in Takalar district to meet some of the TBAs and midwives, and will observe on how it works first hand. I will try to write more on this matter latter. My thanks to dr. Willy for being not only a good brother, but also a mentor on this matter [and thanks for teasing me more and more about that "dempoo" things too...hehehe

Surrounded by good friends....not only in our home-based, but in every where we go, is a wealth weight in gold to me ! 

[For my dear tella and joyce, big hug for you girls...!]  

No comments: